GTC
This forum is for the use of GTC members only.

Only registered users can post messages.

Click on the "Register" link and follow the prompts.
You can choose your own username and password
but the email address you supply MUST be valid.

This forum is "funded" by the advertisements at the top of the page.

GTC has no control over the advertising material and encourages
users to consider all possible consequences before clicking on one of
the advertisements.

Reducing wind noise

GTC :: GTC :: Bikes & Gear

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reducing wind noise

Post by Windassisted on Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:10 pm

If wind noise causes problems hearing a conversation when riding in a group or perhaps listening to a podcast then here's an interesting item. The makers say that not only does it reduce wind noise but can carry ear buds from a mp3 player.
They appear to sit away from the ear so external sounds should still be heard - Anyway I've ordered a pair and will feedback in a couple of weeks
http://www.slipstreamz.com/content.asp?subID=8

Windassisted

Back to top Go down

Re: Reducing wind noise

Post by gloverr on Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:12 pm

Looks interesting - I look forward to your report.
Should also keep your ears warm on those frosty winter mornings.
Ross

gloverr

Back to top Go down

Post by Windassisted on Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:29 pm

Well I've finally got around to reporting back on the Slipstreamz wind deflectors. They did take some time to arrive - the company is based in South Africa and postal service is leisurely. First the set up is a tad fiddly and the product is delicately made so care needs to be taken in attaching them ... each consist of a molded foam rubber deflector that's clipped to the front (leading) strap of your helmet and sits in front of each ear. A fabric cover is attached to the rear of the deflector and an elastic cord loops from the cover through a slot in your helmet and provides tension to hold them in place. Your ipod or mp3 earbuds sit in the deflectors not in your ears ...So do they work? - Yes but there are provisos..   First I tried them without earbuds trying to assess how much they reduced wind noise.. Well they do reduce it but there is still some noise present.. the fit is important here - there's still significant wind noise if your helmet straps are loose and sit away from your head or the fabric ear covers are distorted due to too much tension .. having said that even with everything perfect there is still some wind noise... Next I tried them with the earbuds fitted listening to podcasts and music ... (btw this was on the Belmont track with speeds averaging 31 kph and a light crosswind)...I had to turn up volume slightly but even with my not so good hearing it was ok and I could carry on a conversation with fellow cyclists, and riding away from the track I could still hear the traffic around me. Would I recommend them... yes particularly if you want to listen to music or podcasts and as Ross suggested with winter coming they do keep your ears warm - Dave C

Windassisted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolf on Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:05 pm

Ear pads and MP3 player while riding? I think it keeps you from hearing approaching vehicles and could be treacherous for cyclists. Just my view, I am sure other people would have a different view on this.

Rolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Windassisted on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:29 am

Rolf ..that was one of my initial concerns hence running a road test but I didn't find it an issue.. The mp3 ear buds sit in the wind deflector at the front of the ear, not in the canal and the fabric covering the ear is very light and porous so there is no blocking of sound. My problem was as a device marketed to cut the level of wind noise it didn't really deliver .. the sound was reduced but not to a huge extent.

Windassisted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolf on Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:48 pm

Thanks for you test comments Wa, could we agree that it is more of a clever marketing exercise than salvation to wind bothered cyclists?

Rolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Windassisted on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:15 am

Rolf wrote:Thanks for you test comments Wa, could we agree that it is more of a clever marketing exercise than salvation to wind bothered cyclists?

judging from dialogue with the supplier he sounded pretty genuine but there would be a "marketing element" whatever the case....I think its a good attempt but needs refinement and backing it up with some test data so you know how much sound reduction actually occurs would help .. Thanks for the feedback Rolf - Dave C

Windassisted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

GTC :: GTC :: Bikes & Gear

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum